Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sesame Street

As you all probably know, this week chronicles Sesame Street's 40th anniversary.  As I drove to Athens yesterday, I enjoyed listening to a brief but meaningful story of the changes and lessons learned from the program.  NPR created a list of eight lesson Sesame Street has learned over the past 40 years.  Take a moment to listen here...


This brief piece made me think about all my memories of Sesame Street.

For example, how Big Bird taught my brother, Harlan, to tie his shoes (and how he still uses the "bunny ear" method at 36).

Every year, I continue to put my plastic Sesame Street ornaments on my Christmas tree (even as an adult).

The birthday parties of both Will and Lilly with Sesame Street themes.

   


The first production the nieces and nephew ever saw was...Sesame Street Live.  How we all (grandparents, aunts, uncles, parents, and kids) drove downtown to watch the amazement on the faces of the little ones.

  


The addiction to Elmo, Grover, and all the others.


  


I feel a sense of peacefulness with Sesame Street.  It is something that I had as a child and my nieces and nephew have too.  It is quality programing that provides children a sense of comfort and learning.

Happy Birthday Sesame Street!

Oh, and if you haven't had an opportunity to see Mike Luckovich's cartoon commemorating the day...


Share this post!

1 comment: