I bought this secretary desk from a local antique dealer (in the "last chance" section) several years ago. It is really on its last leg, and I have no desire to do anything about it. However, as I started moving my jewelry into a box, I realized this (previously empty) secretary could fit the bill for jewelry storage. So, I purchased a few utensil organizers from my favorite store (Target) and organized all of my necklaces (by color).
Typically when I pick out jewelry, I do it based on the color rather than anything else. This helps me make a much quicker choice. I will admit that the bracelet storage was not as easy because I wear mostly bangles (that stand up in the drawer organizers). If you have any suggestions, shoot them my way. Also, my pendants and rings make up the final drawer.
However, I saved the best for last. Earrings are my thing. I love them, and the bigger the better (especially with long hair). So, I created a fun organization tool and stuck it in the top of the desk. Also, I hung each pair by color. For directions on how to create the earring organizer, see below.
- Old picture frame (without the glass or back)
- Material (I used some left over from my screened in porch, but anything with some stretch would do...in fact, this would be a great place to bring in a coordinating fabric to your bathroom)
- Staple gun
- Place frame on ground (face down)
- Cut fabric slightly larger than the opening
- Using the stable gun, staple the fabric onto the backside of the frame (where the back of the frame would go if you were using it). Make sure to pull the fabric tight as you staple (so there are no creases)
- Trim extra fabric
- Hang earrings