Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Decorations

So, if you know anything about my mom...you know Santa throws up in her house annually (beginning in October).  Her decorating is insane, and I often wonder why and how she does it.  I just don't feel like I have the energy and desire to decorate as much as she does.

I usually put up the same snowmen, same trees, same decorations yearly and don't even think twice about them.  This year, I decided to go out on a limb and change a few of the decorations.  So, I'm going to show a few off this week.  I'm also going to provide a tutorial or two for the ones I made.  Hopefully, I'll pick up my house enough to photograph my very unusual tree (definitely Mom's idea).

Today, I want to show you my newest decorations that I made several nights ago.



When you walk in the back door of my house, you are typically greeted with a display of photos in matching frames.  My goal was to use supplies and items I already had and only add something if absolutely necessary.  So, here is how these cuties came about.

I purchased a lot of five paper star ornaments at Michael's (the only newly purchased part of this).



I spray painted the five ornaments with some leftover paint I had from a previous project.



While waiting on the stars to dry, I took some Christmas scrapbooking paper and cut triangles to fit the stars.



With my favorite crafting tool, I used Mod Podge to apply the triangles to the spray painted stars.





After applying the scrapbook paper, I covered the entire ornament with Mod Podge.  Once the ornament was dry, I applied another layer.



Taking the picture frames that are typically on top of the bookshelves, I cut white paper to cover the pictures.  Then, I looped ribbon through the back hanger and attached the ornaments.



The final step (I didn't photograph) was to hot glue a button to the center of the ornament.  Don't you think they look super cute on my bookshelf?



I also added ribbon to my candles.  These are so fun because they are items I always have out, but they have a new twist for the holidays.





BCD Show and tell

giveaways
Share this post!

5 comments:

  1. I love the star, to cute. I love that Christmas throws up at your mom's house (ha, ha, ha ) GOD BLESS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. throwing up christmas. i love how you described that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw this...

    http://crapivemade.blogspot.com/2009/07/decoupaged-barn-star.html

    ReplyDelete