Friday, January 15, 2010

Decorative Clipboards

Remember this post?  For a quick recap, I declared this "The Year of the Handmade Gift."  I'm a little nervous about creating all these gifts, so I decided to get a head start.

I began with my nieces and nephew.  They are all pretty stinking adorable, aren't they?





Well, Lilly and Will (the oldest) started kindergarten this year.  They are constantly writing in the journals and creating everything they can.  So, I decided a decorative clipboard and notepad would be great for the two of them.  Being that Ella and Libby mimic anything the older two do, I created one for them too.

Here is a quick and easy tutorial on how to create these for yourself!

Although you can use a traditional clipboard, Michaels sells clipboards with removable metal clips.  I purchased these (slightly more expensive...about $1.50 each).  After detaching the metal clips, spray painted the outside of the wooden boards.



Next, spray paint the metal clips a color that coordinates with the paper you want to use.  Hint, you may need to use a fingernail file to remove any excess spray paint that hangs over the edges.



Cut paper down to approximately 1/2 inch less than the size of the clipboard.  Ink around the sides of the paper with a coordinating color ink pad.



Using a foam paintbrush, add Mod Podge to the back of the paper.  Attach the paper to the clipboards.



Use a roller to remove any air bubbles.



Add a layer of Mod Podge to the top of the paper and clipboard.  Allow to dry and repeat this process.

Reattach the metal clips to the clipboard.  Cut a circle and attach the initial of the child to the punch.  Attach the circle to the metal clip with Mod Podge (using the same method as above).  After the circle punch is dry, paint Mod Podge over the metal clip.  Allow to dry and repeat the process.



Lastly, I attached some ribbon to the top for a decorative touch.

Initially, I was worried about how to make a "boy" version of this project...until I remembered Will's insane love for the Georgia Bulldogs.  So, I used "Super G" paper and left off the ribbon to create a male version.






Here are the other three finished projects.

    

Next up...the notepads that match!
Share this post!

2 comments:

  1. you're nieces and nephew are pretty stinkin cute but goodness, their aunt is pretty stinkin incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute. I've been wanting to do them, but could never find a clipboard I was crazy about. I've done the notebooks, but I'll have to check out Michael's for the ones you used.

    ReplyDelete